Search
  • Uri

Case Study: CRO - The Little Things Matter




Today we're going to discuss the importance of Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO). Specifically, we'll talk about the correlation between product/collection website structure & retargeting structure -- and how to make it work for you! This short & sweet post will hopefully give you some site-restructuring ideas before the holidays!


A little background: The client referenced in this post sells 'gifts' for men. An ideal customer is a man, celebrating a special day by buying gifts for his friends. After much advertising & feedback, we knew that things could be better optimized. After surveying the customer, we learned that they are more concerned about buying the correct quantity of product, and not so much the right 'style' of product. Due to this, we decided to re-structure our Shopping Collections & Ad Messaging to focus more-so on quantity, versus style.


The original site structure was the following:

  • Collection with all styles of Product à Product Page with Variants by Quantity

Although this was working for us (to an extent), based on the above insights, we decided to restructure the collections to the following build-out:

  • Collection Segmented By Quantity à Individual Products Styles without Variants

You’ll see from the below screenshot that the new site-structure was a serious game-changer for this merchant:



Conversion rates grew by 200% and revenue by 70%.


Now that we talked about how we built a site based on the customer shopping experience, let’s chat about how it affected our advertising structure, specifically within the retargeting realm.


With the original site structure, we were unable to determine if a user was shopping for 3 friends or 12 friends, meaning we were limited with creative & messaging. We had to show product-only messaging and couldn’t tailor our retargeting to showcase the specific quantity the user was looking for. This goes a step further within the Dynamic Ads Retargeting as well – since quantity was a variant, we were Pigeon-holed once again by pulling product-name vs product-quantity.


After updating the site architecture to what was stated above, it opened two specific targeting and messaging opportunities that weren’t previously possible and it paid off BIG TIME!


Now that multiple collections existed - (set of 3, set of 4, set of 5, etc.) - we were able to segment into multiple audiences & retarget based off URL data with tailored, relevant messages. If a customer was shopping for 11 friends, we targeted him with ads with “are you still shopping for your 11 friends?”, same goes with all other quantities. On this specific layer, we’ve been consistently hitting an extremely efficient $35 CPA on products ranging between $300 - $800. This campaign has spent $1.3K to date with an 11x return!




The second impactful opportunity that presented itself from structural changes was how product-data was being pulled into the catalog feed. Like we mentioned before, since the products were now separated by quantity and not categorized by variant, the catalog pulled data with product title ‘Product A – Set of 6’, etc. Our browse abandonment and cart abandonment DPA retargeting layers skyrocketed! We were performing at a 3x return before the change and a 9x afterwards! We didn’t change the copy or the offer. Same ad, different title. All pulled dynamically through the catalog!




As you gear up for the holiday season, don’t just assess your offer & creative, but dig deeper into how you can optimize your customer shopping experience on-site. How do you categorize products, organize collections & ultimately how that impacts your messaging. This case study does not apply to all merchants, but if it even helps 1 merchant – we'd be a happy agency!


If you have any questions, we'll be sure to be hanging around in the comments.

43 views
 

4162780407

  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn

©2019 by My Site. Proudly created with Wix.com